Thursday, June 6, 2013
Sweet Whole Wheat or Spelt and Oat Bran Challah Recipe -With Vegan Option
I change up my challah recipe sometimes, and my kids have definitely expressed a preference for the times when I make them *sweet*. No real surprise there, though!
So lately, I've been making this version. It's been a hit with my family. If you make it, I'd love to hear your feedback!
Sweet Whole Wheat or Spelt and Oat Bran Challah
8 cups whole wheat flour (or whole spelt flour)
1 cup oat bran
2/3 cup ground flaxseed
1 T. salt
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups of lukewarm water
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp dry yeast
1/2 cup honey or vegan honey (optional)
1/2 cup oil + a little more for oiling the bowl
1. Mix 1 tsp sugar with the water. Add the yeast. Allow to proof for about 10 min
2. Mix together dry ingredients (flour, oat bran, flaxseed, salt, sugar)
3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add liquid ingredients. Mix well. Then knead.
4. coat the dough with oil and flip over a couple of times, so the bottom and sides get oiled too. cover with a tea towel to rise till doubled. On warm days, this can be about 1 hour, on cold days it can take a lot longer!
5. Punch down. Shape your challot. Cover with a tea towel to rise for about 1/2 an hour. (I usually make 3 challot out of this size batch, so I often double it!)
6. Optional: glaze your challot. I never bother, especially since I've basically gone vegan for baking! Bake for about 30-40 min at 350 F (175-180C)
Allow to cool before you devour them. For some reason, these cut much better when they've cooled properly.