Whole Spelt and Oat Bran Challah
8 cups whole spelt flour, sifted
I change up my challah recipe sometimes, and this is our latest favorite version! It's been a hit with my family. If you make it, I'd love to hear your feedback!1 cup oat bran 2/3 cup ground flaxseed 1 T. salt 1/2 cup sugar
3 cups of lukewarm water* 1 tsp sugar 2 tsp dry yeast
1/3 cup oil + a little more for oiling the bowl
*I find that the amount of water needed varies a lot - depends on the temperature and humidity in my kitchen on a particular day, and different batches of flour behave differently
Directions: 1. Mix 1 tsp sugar with the water. Add the yeast. Allow to proof for about 10 min
2. Mix together dry ingredients (flour, oat bran, flaxseed, salt, sugar)
3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add liquid ingredients. Mix well. Then knead. c
4. oat the dough with oil and flip over a couple of times, so the bottom and sides get oiled too. cover with a tea towel to rise till doubled. On warm days, this can be about 1 hour, on cold days it can take a lot longer! (In the winter I usually make the dough Thursday night before I go to sleep)
5. Punch down. Shape your challot. Cover with a tea towel to rise for about 1/2 an hour. (I usually make 3 challot out of this size batch, so I often double it!)
6. Bake for about 30-40 min at 350 F (175-180C)
Allow to cool before you devour them. These cut much better when they've cooled properly.
Enjoy your Shabbat Challot!